BUILDING HOUSES ON FLOOD PLAINS . . .will they never learn ?

Phil Perry

With large tracts of the country flooded once more,. . .thanks ( Largely) to the Europoean Water Management Directive ( Back in 2000 ) where the responsibilty for dredging watercourses and rivers was taken away by EU law, from landowners, Local water authorities and the UK Government. . .

Dredging is not allowed, primarily to protect distressed mussells, newts and other wildlife, the legislation being designed to return rivers to their "Natural" state. ie, full of gravel, silt and other detritus washed down from higher ground during wet periods. . .making them incapable of carrying the huge amounts of water generated by UK weather, EVERY WINTER.

It's OK though, apparently the above has nothing at all to do with the floods,. . these are caused by ( wait for it ) yes,. . you guessed. .. climate change. . . . .

Well, OK, even if everyone agrees that this must be true then WHY. . . is anyone allowed to build domestic dwellings on known floodplains ? . . . answers on a postcard. . .

FLOOD PLAIN AGAIN.jpg

Bloody idiots.

Gnarly Gnu

Similar happens here Phil, just daft. Also keep building houses from flammable construction materials in bushfire zones surrounded by gum trees. When destroyed, collect insurance & build the same again. Building dwellings that don't suit the local conditions is a specialty apparently, been happening since the pommy convicts arrived. Clever country apparently.

Phil Perry

Clever country apparently.
Yes . . .we MUST be mate. . . since we allow all our rules and laws to be made by unelected and unnasailable a$$holes somewhere in Brussells. . . . .and have done so since the year 2000. . . . .must admit, er,. . .I don't actually remember voting to give away this country's sovereignty. . . . . .I dunno,. . .we beat the jerries in two bloody great wars, and then hand them our country on a plate as a sort of apology ?

Old Koreelah

Another of my pet hates: bad design. Most houses are built with big windows facing the street, without reference to where that bloody big furnace will be in the sky. Many face due west and trap hot summer afternoon sun, while having no windows on the north side to let in winter sun.
Add air con, then complain bitterly about expensive electricity.

fly_tornado

PHIL,,, GET THE UK OUT OF THE EU TODAY.

HANG ON,,, CAPS LOCK IS,,,, AWESOME,,,, I GET WHY PPL LIKE USING IT

PHIL, OLD CHUM ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH HOW THE TORIES WORK? THEY ARE FUNDED BY BUSINESS INTERESTS AND PROPERTY DEVELOPERS AND GET FLOOD PLAINS REZONED AS HOUSING TO SELL TO LABOUR VOTERS. THEY ALSO CUT FUNDING TO PROGRAMS LIKE FLOOD MITIGATION IN REGIONAL AREAS SO THEY HAVE MONEY TO PROTECT THE HOUSES OF THEIR RICH MATES IN BIG CITIES.

LEAVE THE EU AND THE RAINS THAT FALLS ON ENGLAND WILL BE STRAIGHT AND TRUE BECAUSE IT WILL BE BRITISH RAIN,,,

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN,,, THAT IS ALL

:celebrate:

turboplanner

The Carrum Swamp in south east Melbourne stretches from Mordialloc to Dandenong to Frankston, and in 1934, which was proclaimed a 1 in 70 year flood, 750 farmers were rescued by fishing boats which sailed in from Port Phillip Bay.
Now there are 150,000 people living in it and several thousand factories.
An offshoot, the Seaford Swamp was set aside as an overflow basin to take 2000 acre feet of floodwater in the 1960's. The local Council issued permits for 800 houses to be built in it.
One day on the news, you'll see it close up.

old man emu

I live in the Camden area of southwest Sydney. In the past five years there has been an explosion of residential development on the hilly country to the northeast of Camden. Hectares and hectares of country that was previously open pasture land has been covered with houses and sealed roads. The land that once absorbed rainwater is now impervious to it.

I'm just waiting for some big rain events like in the 1950's and 70's to see how devastating the flooding of the lower Nepean River will be when the rain falling on the Camden area runs downriver.

OME

Phil Perry

Why can't we tack down the knuckleheads who approved these dumb projects and sue them?
See above Sir,. . .I don't know if it would be possible to sue the Eruopean Union,. . .but they make all the rules, so I've no doubt that they will have a rule indemnifying themselves. The rest of Europe, particularly the Germans ( who actually run the entire show ) and the French in particular,. . . take absolutely no notice of EU diktats whatsoever, and also refuse to pay any fines which are levied for non-compliance. . . . .The UK however, prosecutes all EU rules to the letter and woe betide anyone who disagrees. . . .

IF ( and it;s a very big "IF" ) we actually get a free In / Out referendum vote,. . . . I doubt if it would be honoured if the "Outers" actually won by a landslide,. . .there would be ten years of "Disconnection" obfuscation, following several more votes until we voted the right way, as with Ireland.

Unless and until we get out of the childish and damaging shackles of this ridiculous club, we shall not be able to do anything about flooding or anything else of value to this land. Borrowing 55 million quid per day, every day, to pay our subscription is a joke. . . we get very little of this back in grants nor assistance with flood defences. . . not to mention Mr Camoron's law regarding giving 0.7 percent of UK GDP away in "Foreign Aid" which is ring fenced and unavailoable to help UK flood victims of UK / EU policy. . . . FT has the right idea, but I DO wish he'd stop telling ME to sort it out,. . .I've only got ONE bloody sniper rifle and only a half dozen cartridges,. . .I'd go insane trying to figure who to shoot first when it all ends in tears. . . .

Until the rivers, water courses and culverts are properly dredged, and regularly, the problem will remain a serious one every winter ad infinitum. AND YES I realise that the problem is more complex than just this part,. . too much land clearance, including denuding hillsides of trees, building over large tracts of land leaving no exposed earth to drain water into the aquifers doesn't help either. . .more Earth husbandry needs looking into properly.

Building houses on stilts has been suggested, along with placing electricity supply cables and socket outlets six feet above floor level has been mooted also. . . but this is just plastering over the cracks, and just won't happen.

Very sad way for the old empire to expire this way really innit . . . ?. . .the lefties all reckon it's a kind of perverse "justice" for all the BAAAAAD things we've done in the days of the Raj and before. . .

fly_tornado

PHIL,,, I AM CALLING ON,,, ALL THE SONS OF TUDOR,,,, ACROSS THE EMPIRE ,,, TO RAISE THE VAT TO 50% TO PAY FOR THE LAWSUIT AGAINST THOSE FOREIGNERS OF THE EU.

WE MARCH ON BRUSSELLS TONITE

Litespeed

And Vlad the impaler has announced he has annexed England to save the poor Russian billionaires that live there from flooding

Phil Perry

On a slightly opposite end of the flooding business,. . .I found this interestsing bit of historical media output on the interwebby yesterday. . . . . .

DROUGHT IN AUSTRALIA. .1931.png

Who'da thought it ? ? . . .Climate change in the 1930s as well . . . "worst weather for 40 years. . ."

Phil Perry

It has long been argued that methane from cow farts has a lot to do with weather alteration,. . .

But the fartus bovinus has now be royally superseded,. . .

Ladies and Gents,. . .I give you, . . ..

The Hippofart.

Top Bottom