Finger saving table saw

SDQDI

Ok so with this snowy miserable weather I've been you tubing, mainly looking at workshop fails (have you all seen that fella put his foot around the lathe?) and swapping from groaning to laughing out loud. But I found myself looking at this video of an interesting safety mechanism on a table saw.

Now of course we all know that putting fingers in saws is not good but this seems to be a novel way to have a 'safety' backup just in case.

gandalph

Brilliant concept! Another company (Bosch) has just developed a similar device that doesn't destroy the saw blade. I sure wish my table saw was fitted with one or the other.

I was involved in various woodworking clubs in the US when I lived there, and got to see plenty of demos of this at the various shows. they demonstrated with a hotdog, but the result is still just as dramatic. highly recommend!

Old Koreelah

Crickey! Hard to watch! Looking at the movie frame of the blade about to hit the finger, it was hard to press the go arrow.
I stopped the movie before he tested it on his finger.

Nice to have that backup, but let's keep our pinkies right away from the saw.

That is brilliant.

Many a hand is missing fingers from wood saws.

Deserves to make millions.
I was very close last year. Had a kickback that pulled my thumb through the saw. I am one of the lucky ones who got to retain his thumb, only just. Still had to have something like 17 stitches.

ugh... made my bum wink....

had a similar accident, jointer kicked back and smacked my thumb so hard it broke the bone straight up the middle. At least 6-7 years ago now, but it is still crooked and hurts when it gets cold.

careful out there everyone!

ugh... made my bum wink....

had a similar accident, jointer kicked back and smacked my thumb so hard it broke the bone straight up the middle. At least 6-7 years ago now, but it is still crooked and hurts when it gets cold.

careful out there everyone!
Problem is, you get to know tools and you become complacent. For me its worse, because I am a tradie turn engineer, so now I am an office dweller and tool time is a hobby. 15 years in an office and you forget a lot of things.

Phil Perry

My very goood friend Gerry took off three of his fingers on a saw table whilst we were rebuilding his Auster. . . . .regrettably this invention was not around then. . . .however, he did NOT bleed to death, and we had more great flights together from Casey Field Berwick Vic. . ., one of which has already been posted on this forum, ie, Pussycat stowaway in C-210, ( couple of years back. . . dunno how far back the forum records go. . . .)

Very impressive bit of technology though. . . . what we need now is something which will allow a recreational aircraft to impact a rockface in IMC. . . , and the system to identify the problem, and stop the aircraft instantly, even if it's equipped with a jabberwocky motor. . . with zero Gee,. . . .and allow it to descend safely to the ground. . . . .without breaking any fingers or sausages. . . .mmmm ,. . .maybe another few hundred years ? we'll probably have a base on IO by then. . . . . .Y'know,. . .( FIFO ) or FIO / FIBACK ?

Phil

rgmwa

Very impressive, although if it was fitted to my cheap and light table saw, the recoil would probably turn it into a unguided missile.
Still, for machine shops and those with heavy duty saws, it should be a winner.
rgmwa

Very impressive, although if it was fitted to my cheap and light table saw, the recoil would probably turn it into a unguided missile.
Still, for machine shops and those with heavy duty saws, it should be a winner.
rgmwa
I did not watch video, but if its the saw stop brand then I am pretty sure they have a tradie table saw version out now too. FWIW, it was a tradie saw that I put my thumb through.

Top Bottom