GRIPES

Bruce

I reckon Bex's experience is telling.
It is the attitude of the bureaucrats which is the job-killer. Here they have the attitude " how can we send you broke", while in China it is "how can we help you succeed?".
I would like to bring Bex back to cull our bureaucracies.

Yenn

Our government did keep the Aussie motor industry here for years, so much so that Ford and GM plus others kept asking for more. When it wasn't forthcoming they threatened to pull out and painted themselves into a corner. Kodak did the same and no doubt other overseas businesses did also. All business here seems to want to be paid to stay. We should not have reduced tariffs, so that foreign companies would have to build here or gace import tariffs. It may sound wonderful to have a level playing field, but not when foreigners control the wind direction.

Bruce

I have read that in Australia, one LAME can only supervise 3 laborers, while in Singapore it is 10.
So it is cheaper to fly planes to Singapore to get them serviced. Level playing field?
I find this story hard to believe, surely our bureaucrats are not THAT bad?

Phil Perry

I must say, about the only program I watch regularly on ABCWho is Anh's Brush with Fame. Normally can't stand their stuff. Watch a lot of stuff on Foxtel, comedy, technology, sport, etc., anything aviation, and a lot of Seven. I like UKTV. I record a lot of programs and edit out the commercials and channel promo's before burning them to DVD. A 'one hour' program usually edits down to 42 minutes, give or take.
UKTV, Particularly OLD BBC comedy output used to be brilliant, but now it's all gone PC I'm afraid, much like many other things. They would never get away with the humour of Monty Python, 'FAWLTY TOWERS' or 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' nowadays. . .especially the 'Love Thy Neighbour' series. . .WAY too racist or something elsist. . . Adverts are a pain I agree, although they have to be there, I just wish that the ad breaks were less frequent and extended. . .

I was watching a re-run of one of Brian Cox's 'The Solar System' progs a couple of nights ago on a 'Freeview' channel, The one hour episode was actually 36 minutes. The rest taken up with several blocks of 7 or 8 ads. If you tried to watch re-runs on freeview the brilliant David Attenborough's 'Life on Earth' BBC shows, . .they were even more heavily ad laden. . . .

old man emu

Don't ya just love it? You check a supplier's on-line catalogue for an item and see that they stock what you want. You ring them up and they tell you that they have it in stock, then when you get there they tell you they don't stock what you want.

Bruce

Good grounds for complaints guys. I recommend checkout rage.
Here's what sets me off at a checkout .. you wait for ages while the woman in front searches in her purse for the right change. THEN she holds up the line for nearly as long repacking the blasted purse before moving along.

Old Koreelah

I've offered to build my wife the ultimate handbag (see-thru compartments for everything, LED lights to illuminate the depths of each cavernous pouch, clips and slots to hold oft-used items...
For some reason she declined. She still rummages around looking thru this week's handbag for keys, phone, diary... The worst of it is that the bloody bag is always left open; a thief could grab anything out of it. It's one of life's mysteries why things don't just fall out.

Phil Perry

It's amazing. I've seen my wife unpack her handbag to find something, then cram everything back in... including receipts and used tissues!! WTF??
Ahhh. .Tissue. . . .( unintended joke ) Wifey 'Nicks' a bunch of toilet tissue from the supermarket toilets every week. This is that awfully narrow stuff and I refuse to risk using it. She still whinges at me for griping and insisting on the 'Proper' high quality stuff. . .

Geoff13

Ahhh. .Tissue. . . .( unintended joke ) Wifey 'Nicks' a bunch of toilet tissue from the supermarket toilets every week. This is that awfully narrow stuff and I refuse to risk using it. She still whinges at me for griping and insisting on the 'Proper' high quality stuff. . .
We have his and hers crappers at our place.
She was out the other day and I was up that end of the house so I used hers.
Buggered if she didn't have the softest multiply sh!t paper money could buy, compared to the sand paper she buys for my throne room.
Well I swapped it over after she went to bed last night and you should have heard the squeal at 0130 this morning.

PS. It is not so bad out here, I have convinced the dog to move over a bit and give me some more room.

Marty_d

We have his and hers crappers at our place.
She was out the other day and I was up that end of the house so I used hers.
Buggered if she didn't have the softest multiply sh!t paper money could buy, compared to the sand paper she buys for my throne room.
Well I swapped it over after she went to bed last night and you should have heard the squeal at 0130 this morning.

PS. It is not so bad out here, I have convinced the dog to move over a bit and give me some more room.
That's gold.

Another way to get her to squeal would be stretching some cling film over the bowl then put the seat back down...

Phil Perry

BLOODY GUY FAWKES NIGHT IS ALMOST UPON US AGAIN. . .SOD IT !

Bangs and whistles going off every night for the past few days. I disagree with fireworks being sold to the public nowadays,in favour of Organized displays. . as they are nearly always abused and a lot of kids get injured by them well before the 5th of November.

In the early days ( 50s - 60s ) you couldn't buy fireworks until around Nov 1st or 2nd. . .none of the shops showed any stock before then, not sure if this was by law or what.

I noticed that several vacant shops have been taken over for the past three or four weeks, selling nothing but El-Cheapo imported fireworks. The local terrorists have been letting them off for quite a while now, and I feel really sorry for those people whose pets are terrified by the bloody bangs.. . .Not to mention older folks too.

The cops attended a park near my place last Wednesday evening, where a couple of gangs of kids had been having a fun 'Duel' across the park, actually HOLDING and firing projectile fireworks directly AT each other ! . . .

Some of these shops are selling 'Under the counter' Class 2 - Display grade pyrotechnics, which are illegal for sale to the public. . . .Some of these papier mache star shells have to be fired from a long, thick cardboard tube well secured into the ground, and can project up to over 700 feet AGL. . . .bloody insanity selling these things to kids.. . .

Contemporaneously speaking,. . since I started typing this Gripe,. . I have heard nine very loud bangs, and seen one multi-effect starshell detonation around a mile down the street. . .lunacy.

Old Koreelah

Interesting that Britain has gone so far in removing firearms from adults, but still allows children to buy lethal fireworks. I somehow survived a childhood of crackers, double bungers, and all the home-made cannons we could devise. I bought chemical ingredients by mail order and my rockets terrified the neighbourhood. What kept me from killing myself or losing an eye? Not much. I'm sure glad fireworks are no longer sold to the general public in most states.
Spending a week in Darwin around Territory Day shows how stupid people can be.
More than 20 people injured during NT's cracker night celebrations

Marty_d

I looked into buying some this year (in Tassie the public can only buy fireworks for use on cracker night - 27th May). However you have to pay a license fee of $250 before you even start buying the fireworks, and they're expensive as hell.

We're off to Germany this christmas so I'm looking forward to buying some and letting them off for the kids - we'll be in a rural area on xmas so the only things we'll frighten are some horses.

I agree with OK though - although I had a lot of fun with fireworks as a kid, I also heard of kids losing hands and eyes so as a parent I'm quite glad my kids don't have the same access to them that I did!!

Cracker season used to be, well, a cracker! I have fond nightmares of discovering a tuppenny bunger would just fit inside an oyster bottle (we found half the base eventually), a penny bunger was a tight fit in a 3/4" pipe tee. With a 2' length of pipe screwed into it containing a few marbles it made a fairly effective cannon. The weirdest stuff-up I managed was to annoy my father by letting off the odd bunger in the backyard until his patience wore a bit thin, and he called last drinks - er, bangs. So, being a clever little so and so, lit two simultaneously. The first to blow sent the other one into the as-yet unlit pile, setting off my entire stock of double happies and the odd penny bunger. Dad was laughing so much at my antics of trying to retrieve at least a couple of remnants he had to sit down. Fortunately, he must have thought the loss of my collection was punishment enough.
David. Now grown up and much more sensible. Maybe.

Top Bottom