Long Weekend! What did you do?

farri

No rest for the wicked!!!...I did three long days, flying an excavator, at our son`s place in Cairns.

Frank.

Installed gyprock in the new house and used chainsaw to prune the privet ... I kid you not. The hills hoist had 2 trees growing through it - almost modern art what a tree slowly adding pressure to a steel structure can do

skeptic36

No rest for the wicked!!!...I did three long days, flying an excavator, at our son`s place in Cairns.

Frank.
You poor bugger, I suggest you fly every day this week to recover.
We booked some accomodation in Latrobe Valley, flew down on Saturday and my wife drove the car.
Met up with Alf Jessup and Micks Trike , from on here, also another guy with his Foxbat ( they beat me up and took my lunch :nod: :wink:).
Sunday the forecast wasn't great, but we still managed an hour + of airtime flying in company with a Tanarg, which I was lucky enough to be offered a couple of circuits as pic. Then we went and had a very nice lunch with the Tanarg owner and his wife at a local vineyard.
Monday the weather was crap so we left the trike at LTV and will have to wait until the weekend to retrieve it.

Attachments

Geoff13

Saturday was a cold early start. The Mrs, I and 8 friends both riders and pilots went out to Goondiwindi for the planes,trains and automobiles weekend in a mixture of bikes and cars. Great ride and great company. In the motorcycle show and shine, one of the boys won best Trike, the Mrs won best artwork and I cleaned up bike of the show and peoples choice. Not bad for an 8 year old Goldwing.

Then Sunday an interesting ride to Inglewood to have a look at the flyin. Another early start, but a late arrival thanks to one of the boys putting deisel in his bike delaying us for a couple of hours. Most of the planes had left so we had a quick look at what was left, chatted to a couple of people and then headed for home. Another one of the boys had a minor technical problem with fuel starvation around Warwick. Remind me not to go flying with some of these blokes LOL.

Then yesterday, another early start with a 5am run before heading to Caboolture to fly the Drifter up to Childers for the new owner. A sad day as now I no longer have a Drifter to fly. It always seemed to be available when I wanted it, which I guess was part of the reason it was sold.

No photos sorry as I dont play with the phone/camera whilst riding the bike or flying the Drifter so you will just have to take my word for it.

Saturday was a cold early start. The Mrs, I and 8 friends both riders and pilots went out to Goondiwindi for the planes,trains and automobiles weekend in a mixture of bikes and cars. Great ride and great company. In the motorcycle show and shine, one of the boys won best Trike, the Mrs won best artwork and I cleaned up bike of the show and peoples choice. Not bad for an 8 year old Goldwing.

Then Sunday an interesting ride to Inglewood to have a look at the flyin. Another early start, but a late arrival thanks to one of the boys putting deisel in his bike delaying us for a couple of hours. Most of the planes had left so we had a quick look at what was left, chatted to a couple of people and then headed for home. Another one of the boys had a minor technical problem with fuel starvation around Warwick. Remind me not to go flying with some of these blokes LOL.

Then yesterday, another early start with a 5am run before heading to Caboolture to fly the Drifter up to Childers for the new owner. A sad day as now I no longer have a Drifter to fly. It always seemed to be available when I wanted it, which I guess was part of the reason it was sold.

No photos sorry as I dont play with the phone/camera whilst riding the bike or flying the Drifter so you will just have to take my word for it.

Yes we, Doug Mc Collough and I with co- pilots flew into Goondiwindi from Inglewood to check the event out, and represented the aviation side of the event.
Here are some photos of the day.

Yes we, Doug Mc Collough and I with co- pilots flew into Goondiwindi from Inglewood to check the event out, and represented the aviation side of the event.
Here are some photos of the day and of the winners of the scenic flight around Goondiwindi.

Attachments

I took number one son for a mosey around on a lovely day. Unfortunately, a) he suffers from airsickness if things get too bumpy, b) it was bouncy as hell below 2500', and c) the intent was to fly over his home, which is under the 2500' class C steps. Turned back before things got too messy and found something to do with a little more altitude!

The amusing outcome of the day was that he posted a selfie on Facebook taken from the right hand seat. However, phones mirror-image the photo when using the front camera, so one of his friends who is a pilot ticked him off for being on the left...

kaz3g

Sunday morning (first of the month) was pancake breakfast day at Shepparton and about 22 folk joined us to try Kev's Concoctions.

Monday morning, I flew from Shepparton to Wagga with a number of my aeroclub friends to visit the REX training facility there. Wow, pretty impressive!

Went through the the offices and lecture rooms guided by two very knowledgable students and a club member who is a pilot and former instructor for that airline. We saw several simulators in rooms about the size of a second bedroom which the students can use anytime at all to hone their skills. And looked at a very large collection of glass cockpit Warriors and Seminoles out on the tarmac.

The best bit was last. We all and a chance to look at the big simulator which trains Pilots on the Saab 340, the airlines main aircraft for its RPT services. This is big! About 25 squares floor area probably three stories high. Massive hydraulic and electrical leads connected to it so that it leans and rolls like the real thing. Great wraparound projection screen, a complete working flight deck with realtime displays on all the instruments, and the most amazing selection of places and situations available to the instructor in charge of it.

Some of us got a chance to fly it. I was in the right seat but I did the takeoff from Canberra. Did so well I flew straight into a thunderstorm. I rotated at 120 KN and climbed at around 2500 rpm on 80% power before levelling off at around 6000'. I lost the airport for a minute I was going so fast but found it again before handing over to the left seat (bugger).

He managed the approach at 20% power and did a very smooth touchdown just after I chopped power altogether. I helped him keep it straight on the rollout and applied reverse thrust to slow us down. Golly its big!

Anyway, the inhabitants of Canberra were safe in our make-believe RPT world for a few minutes. Wow! What an incredible experience.

One of the other members to be given a "fly" is a 17 yo who is currently doing her RA certificate training and wants a career in the airlines. Kidding she isn't sold on the REX approach to training now!!!!

Kaz

Top Bottom