Plane Pics

Phil Perry

I have read that the Lysander was a bit of a hancfull to fly unless you kept re trimming on take off. With the Wendover being so short coupled I would guess that it could be even worse.
I guess that would not have helped when surrepticiously landing in the French countryide after dark, dropping off secret agents and all, then having to takeoff without the rudimentary flares, concentrating on missing the trees / other obstuctions and having to pi$$ about constantly re- trimming . . an increased workload for poor Mr. Pilot. . . ie, correcting a design flaw. . .

willedoo

Thought I'd share these photos received in an email today. It's Ukrainian Su-27, 55 Blue of the 831st. Guards Tactical Aviation Brigade that crashed on approach to Ozerne Airfield just before Christmas. It came to rest in a field between the approach beacons.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

willedoo

I lightened the photo and enlarged it a bit. I guess it's fire damage. Makes you wonder why that section would burn out though. It would take a fair bit of heat to do that. Duralumin and possibly hydraulic oil in that area would be all that's there. If the plane caught fire due to fuel burning, you would think a lot more of it would be destroyed before the rudder section melted.

It would have to be those pesky Russians for sure. No doubt on direct orders from that crazy, mad Putin chap.

1a.jpg

facthunter

Hot section engine damage could do that. It might be the reason it didn't make the runway. Don't think the gear was down either. Could have been intentional. Nev

willedoo

Hot section engine damage could do that. It might be the reason it didn't make the runway. Don't think the gear was down either. Could have been intentional. Nev
Nev, that sounds the most likely scenario. Perhaps a casing failure in the nozzle/jet pipe section burning through to the rudder while still airborne.

Litespeed

My money is on it been hit by Russian rebels with something. Damage is bit too specific on rudder also burn damage on other rudder and in front on rudder by looks of it along the fuselage.

I reckon some damage from a missile, where it explodes in proximity. They are a tough bird , the missile was possibly a partial dud. I reckon damaged undercarriage as well. Hence landed off field in snow to not stuff up the runway.

Things are pretty hot in Ukraine since Putin went on ego trip and he knows Trump will do nothing but kiss his arse.

willedoo

Litespeed, it crashed 800k's west of where the fighting has been in the Donbass. Too far to fly with a tail shot up like that. It crashed coming in to land at Ozerne Air Base, west of Kiev. The military press release said it was on a scheduled training flight. Apparently the pilot died, so they don't really know the cause, probably not till after the investigation.

How the pilot died is anyone's guess. The cockpit area doesn't look very burnt, but the way it's crumpled up with what looks like the seat bent forward, it might have been crush injuries. He might have been busy trying to save the plane and ran out of time to pull the handle.

willedoo

As an update, I did some reading on the pilot. He was Major Alexander Fomenko, a combat veteran from the civil war in the east in 2014, and after returning from that region, was based at Ozerne. At the time of the accident he was a Pilot 1st. Class, with 482 hours total flying time and proficient in all weather navigation as an instructor. He was chief of air fire and tactical combat training for the tactical aviation brigade. It's makes it likely he was on a combat training mission at the time of the crash.

It's the second Su-27 Ukraine lost within two months of each other. The previous one was during a joint exercise with NATO, with two Colonels killed, one a Ukrainian regiment commander and the other an American Colonel from the air national guard.

red750

I took my son to YMML today to catch a plane to the US. I returned via Essendon Fields (YMEN). As I drove along Wirraway Road, the crossing gate was closed, and I snapped this photo of a Learjet crossing Wirraway Road.

N82GG crossing Wirraway Rd.JPG

red750

Not really, Space. Aircraft are crossing that road a number of times a day.There are a number of maintenance hangars across the road and aircraft are moving back and forth regularly. In the Google screenprint below, Wirraway Rd is marked in blue. Before Tulla, it ended at the small arrow. The taxiway to the maintenance hangars is marked in red. Wirraway Rd was extended to join the Tulla Freeway, and the gateway at the crossing installed to allow aircraft access to those hangars, now occupied by a number of operators.An airport security van comes around to open and close the gates when an aircraft needs to pass through. The northern end of Wirraway Rd is now a major car dealership area with a number of dealerships located there.

These links are to planes using that area of the field.

Canadair CL=600

Gulfstream G550

Dassault 900

wirraway rd.JPG

spacesailor

I hear that Melbourne is needing another "Forth" airport.
are they greedy or what ?
Esseindon, Tullamarine, Avalon, & moorabbin airports, plus the RAAF Williams.
That seems an awful lot
spacesailor

Top Bottom