SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Well, then.. I think the award for the 2017 silly signs of the year competition goes to the signs you've posted.. as that is the silliest money I have seen for them...

spacesailor

PP
"say five hours work" is that council worker's"
Four man(oops) person team, supervisor, foreperson, sign erector's, mini bus hire, council truck & driver, architects, and the councilor's themselves!.
that's the short list.LoL
spacesailor

My poor neice must think I am an oddball. She was driving back to Melbourne from Healesville when we can across roadworks; the flouro cones (larger and more flouro than ours) were out - you couldn't miss it. There was the kit (generator and other bits and bobs) and blokes not so frantically working within the safety cordon of cones one needed sunglasses for. The roadworks couldn't have been longer than 50' over the left lane of a dual lane carriageway. We had to merge into the right lane. when suddenly, not one, but two blokes wacing a lollipop emblazoned with "SLOW" suddenly appeard within the edge of the safety cone zone. One bloke was waving it as if his life depended on it. I almost burst my britches laughing - H&S gone absolutely mad. Signs were out warning us of the impending roadworks and to slow down. I know there are idiot drivers (I was probably one of them in my younger days) who won't slow down for roadworks, but I don't think two lollipop men are going to make that much of a difference.

I guess you had to be there, but it was funny.

Bruce

It's even worse than you think Jerry. Those lollypop men are highly paid. Why, you ask... surely its a good job for dumb guys?
The explanation is that it is potentially dangerous on account of how they could become victims of road rage.
No kidding, but I wish I was.

My neice told me they were pretty well paid - danger money - I would have thought the danger is they would fall asleep on the job and i the way of a car.. :happy:

I would guess it would be one of the most closed shop jobs on the street - a case of not what you don't know - but who you know...

nomadpete

Not that hard to get lollipop jobs. Friend of mine did it for a while (between jobs). Good money but hard on your feet - standing in the sun all day.

spacesailor

"$90K per annum."
My Grand-son-inlaw, Has been to a lot of work-place education, and now has "Qualification's" for that "traffic management" job!.
Maybe but he gives little his wife & four kids, must spend it on the ex-police pursuit commodore he just bought.
spacesailor

Marty_d

I think Octave's post above tells you that the $90k thing is a furphy. Average working year is about 2,000 hours (365 days minus 104 for weekends x 8 hours), so to get $90k the hourly rate would have to be around $45. That ad said $28-$30 /hour.

spacesailor

I note my Grandson-in-law works most weekends, so add the penalty rates into it as well as all the other perks, like traveling time, and living away, when working at remote places.
He's also a fire'ary ( rural fire brigade). so gets something for that & his first aid cert's.

spacesailor

Last edited:

Marty_d

I note my Grandson-in-law works most weekends, so add the penalty rates into it as well as all the other perks, like traveling time, and living away, when working at remote places.
He's also a fire'ary ( rural fire brigade). so gets something for that & his fist aid cert's.

spacesailor
...in which case, no matter what the profession, if someone is working 7 days a week, long hours and in remote areas, they kind of deserve $90k don't they?

Top Bottom