SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

Oi! Over 'ere Jacobs creek is a staple wine!

BTW:
View attachment 2775
Welsh is a bugger of a language to get your head around ( if you ain't born in North Wales that is. . .) It uses 'Guttural' sounds in some of the words, and a double letter 'L' in the middle of a word is often pronounced as a soft 'TH' sound, as in the words Think, and Through. . . at the beginning of some words, it is pronounced by a sound which resembles gathering saliva in your mouth before spitting ( ! ) Theres a place not far from here, on the Welsh border with Shropshire, called LLANGOLLEN.

Pronounced CCCLANGOCCCTHLAN . . .The CCCs being where you gargle. . . .Anyway,. . .Nos Dah ( G'day ) or Borra Dah .if it's later. . . The Welsh have NO word for 'Bicycle' as the language is believed to have originated over a millennia ago. . .they just 'steal' English words, in this case BEIC. . . .many visiting drivers have been fooled by a plentiful roadsign in Wales,. . 'Canol Y Dref' Which indicates the way to the 'Town Centre' just to confuse the hated English, not all roadsigns are Bi-lingual . . .bloody Taffies. . .

old man emu

How about talking in the direction of the TV, with their back towards your direction while you are standing next to a kettle getting to the boil in the kitchen because you are making her a cuppa?

willedoo

Welsh is a bugger of a language to get your head around ( if you ain't born in North Wales that is. . .) It uses 'Guttural' sounds in some of the words, and a double letter 'L' in the middle of a word is often pronounced as a soft 'TH' sound, as in the words Think, and Through. . . at the beginning of some words, it is pronounced by a sound which resembles gathering saliva in your mouth before spitting ( ! ) Theres a place not far from here, on the Welsh border with Shropshire, called LLANGOLLEN.

Pronounced CCCLANGOCCCTHLAN . . .The CCCs being where you gargle. . . .Anyway,. . .Nos Dah ( G'day ) or Borra Dah .if it's later. . . The Welsh have NO word for 'Bicycle' as the language is believed to have originated over a millennia ago. . .they just 'steal' English words, in this case BEIC. . . .many visiting drivers have been fooled by a plentiful roadsign in Wales,. . 'Canol Y Dref' Which indicates the way to the 'Town Centre' just to confuse the hated English, not all roadsigns are Bi-lingual . . .bloody Taffies. . .
I'd agree there, Phil, Welsh is a bit tricky. My ancestors were from Shropshire, about 12 miles from the present day border, so would have been Welsh before those pesky Normans turned us into Pommie Bastards. From what I gather, Welsh is a fairly modern language and I remember reading somewhere that the language closest to the original British dialects is Breton.

Just a bit of trivia - the largest Welsh speaking population outside of Wales is in Argentina.

Cheers, Willie.

old man emu

Nah, that's too simple.Well partly true. Due to osteoarthritis and osteoporosis causing spinal problems, she is almost bed-ridden. Or should that be settee ridden, as that is where she sleeps, in the lounge room. There she can watch two TVs and use her laptop. Conversations usually start when I'm in another room, where I usually have my own TV on. When I get up, go into the lounge and ask her to repeat, she says "Put your hearing aids in.", and refuses to repeat what she said, then the next day says "I told you yesterday. Think back." Or, "I wont tell you again." Ahhh, wedded bliss.
Got you, you bastard. You're the one who sneaks in to her when I'm away. When I catch up with you, I'll have your guts for gaiters. A real gentleman would leave a quid on the fridge when he tool a bloke's beer.

Yenn

Welsh road signs. The village my sister in law lives in has 3 roads going to it. 3 different spellings.
not only bike, but also anbwlance, for when you fall off the beic.
Malay is similar with bas secolah for school bus and moto sica for motor bike.

Top Bottom