What's good (and bad ) about Russia?

facthunter

Yes they use metric altitudes. One of the few countries that do. 1,000 meters is a fair distance. If you use less distances for separation you are using weird figures. I don't know how the Flight level allocation fits in. Nev

willedoo

I have trouble when reading Russian articles that use metric altitudes, always trying to convert it mentally. With imperial and metric, I'm all over the place.
I think of surface distance in kilometres, building measurements in metres and millimetres (not cm), depth in feet, area in acres, pressure in psi, volume in litres; it can get a bit confused.

edit:
When it comes to altitude and oxygen requirements, no two publications ever give the same height exactly. Russian manuals are a bit out from Western ones as they tend to round off to the nearest 1,000 metres which is quite a bit of leeway.

Last edited:

willedoo

This is an interesting video of some of Russia's military gear. Runs for 12 minutes and quite a lot of it is missile launches. Watching all the different sequences of boosters going off reminds me of cracker night when we were kids.

It's better to watch in theatre mode on youtube.

Last edited:

spacesailor

"The older artificial horizon gauges were unusual, blue on the bottom and brown on top. Not very intuitive."
A lot like Aussie electrical wiring," Brown is not Earth, Sky-blue is not High, Green no longer Neutral.
Might as well be Russian.
spacesailor

willedoo

In recent times there's been a few complaints from the Americans about unprofessional and dangerous intercepts of their recon aircraft by Russian fighter jets. I'd agree some of them have been in that category and unnecessarily aggressive. It wasn't always like that back in the days of the Cold War, and tended to be a bit more gentlemanly.

There are anecdotes of professional, cordial relations between the opposing flight crews in those days. Most often, the same crews were on regular duty and got to know each other and communicated with hand signals. The period referred to is the 60's, 70's and 80's when relations had improved after the earlier so called secret war that saw several B-29 spy planes shot down over Soviet airspace.

These photos recently came to light and show an F-4 Phantom interceptor doing a barrel roll over the top of a Tu-95 Bear bomber. The story goes that the Soviet crew requested it via hand signals.

F-4(2).jpg

F-4.jpg

Last edited:

willedoo

This is a bunch of ice swimmers having a new year dip at Lake Baikal. Today is Christmas in the orthodox world, but most people in Russia start the holiday celebrations on new years day.

willedoo

Have been reading a news article on the Crimean bridge. Progress on the rail section is on track with the first 1klm of track laid. It's 19klm long all up and is scheduled to open in December. The train schedule for 2020 is for 29 trains per day, 19 passenger and 10 freight. The road section opened about 8 months ago and has traffic of around 30,000 vehicles per day.

The bridge has stuffed up a good fishing spot for the locals on the mainland side. From the Taman Peninsula side on the mainland, there was a very narrow strip of land that poked out into the Sea of Azov. It had a dirt road right out to the end and people used to drive out there and fish from the banks. Once was a nice quiet good fishing spot, now a four lane highway and dual train line.

5c41e9aafc7e93b7308b45b1.jpg

5b682aecfc7e9314148b45e6.jpg

5c41ea2ffc7e936e308b45cf.jpg

Last edited:

willedoo

It's International Women's Day and President Putin has marked it by doing a lap around the arena with female mounted police officers.
Most people have seen the famous publicity photo of him riding a horse bare chested, but here's his true horse riding skills on display. All I can say is that the Man from Snowy River has nothing to fear. Full credit to the horse for it's tolerance.

Top Bottom