Where do old Bar-B-Ques go?

old man emu

Have you ever been driving around the suburbs when there has been a council clean-up happening? You can bet your bottom dollar that you'll spot at least one four-burner bar-b-que tossed amongst the discarded computer desks and kids' plastic ride-on toys.

What I would love to know is where all these bar-b-ques that at one time served as sacrificial altars to the gods of the backyard, end up after they have been collected from the roadside.

OME

kgwilson

One!!! I live in a community of 1200 people & there were at least 10 biffed out during the last council cleanup day. Some were in better condition than the one I have. There was one all Stainless Steel 6 burner I would have grabbed but it was too big for just the 2 of us. Where do they go? Some end up in another persons back yard & the rest to the scrap metal yard. We live in such a throw away society now. I picked up a good looking Ryobi whipper snipper as I wanted one for around the hangar. I tipped out the goo that used to be 2 stroke mix, washed the fuel tank out, refilled it with new fuel mix & it fired on the second pull. It now lives in my hangar.

dazza 38

Have you ever been driving around the suburbs when there has been a council clean-up happening? You can bet your bottom dollar that you'll spot at least one four-burner bar-b-que tossed amongst the discarded computer desks and kids' plastic ride-on toys.

What I would love to know is where all these bar-b-ques that at one time served as sacrificial altars to the gods of the backyard, end up after they have been collected from the roadside.

OME
They end up in the a boneyard, there are thousands of them. They are sealed up to prevent corrosion. Some of them are even rejuvenated to become radio controlled missile targets.
Oh hang on, im thinking of the aircraft boneyards. Oops

facthunter

My son found one that is much better than the worn out one I've had forever so now we have two Tend to use it ( the new old one) when there are a lot here. We really do chuck out stuff. If you have a small car and the airbags go off. It's write off. You write off good Prados with hail damage. How does that stop it going? Still OK to take to Frazer Island and drive it in the salt, (Then it's REALLY stuffed.) Nev

dazza 38

The cast iron burners rust out in a short time. We bought a Webber BBQ a couple of years ago, they have a stainless steel burner. Brilliant BBQ.

winsor68

OME
One of them ended up at my place. Still works...the hotplate is even a bit cracked.

Is that YOU on the back Ross . . .? ? ? If so,. . .congrats on being the first to ride a Tiger side saddle,. . . .or was it a Jacka ?
No PHIL...my older brother and sister and Mum....I came later.
Story was the Moth came out to do some rural seeding on a property where my folks were living and working. Seems the pilot consumed large quantities of rum the night before and on takeoff next morning hit the only tree in the paddock !.....another photo I have shows three good wings propped up against the tree.
My older brother was born 1941 so this had to be just after the war when my father returned from PNG...Kakoda ?

Transferred rego, almost appropriate (due to number of wings):

VH BBQ
Manufacturer:
PITTS AVIATION ENTERPRISES
Model: S-2E
Serial number: V52
Aircraft first registered in Australia: 16 September 1980
Year of manufacture: 1980

facthunter

Victa lawnmower. Hills hoist and the barbeque. Iconic objects in this country There's some exotic ones around these days. Mines not bigger than yours. Nev

Top Bottom