• Welcome to Whats Up Austraila!

Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Phil Perry

Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:45 PM, octave said:

Thanks for that link, Octave; very interesting reading. I read a book review some time back; one of those post apocalyptic type fiction books. It was set in about 2030, and the world financial system had crashed completely leaving the petro dollar worthless. The government had enacted laws to confiscate all privately held gold and made the possession of it a serious crime. The theme being that gold will be worth something when nothing else is.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've read where the amount of paper gold in the world far exceeds the amount of physical gold ever mined. Countries that are trying to limit their vulnerability to the U.S. based financial system are buying actual physical gold instead of paper. Russia is a good example. In the last 12 months, they've nearly halved their holdings of U.S. debt, and have been buying Euros and Yuan instead, as well as building physical gold stocks. At least that way, if it all hits the fan, they'll have real gold and not pieces of paper.

• Like 1

In another life I was on the Gold Council. We thought it a great idea to have certificates that people could buy to hold gold without the security problem of physical gold. But what happened was that many more ounces were sold in certificates than existed as security. 

Barramundi used to be like that X tonnes caught 2 X tonnes sold. Now it's like "everywhere " and cheap. I call it Mekong Mudfish (but still eat it. but rate it less) Nev.